The American Women´s Club of Madrid was founded as a charitable, non-profit organization in March of 1954. During Spain’s post-war years, men and women from other countries had come to help with the country´s reconstruction. Small groups met for the purpose of helping women from other countries adjust to life in a new country. Time passed, groups formed, and in March of 1954, thirty-five American women held the first meeting of the AWC Madrid in what was then the Hilton Hotel.
The membership outgrew the rented room at the Hilton and a new meeting place was needed. On May 12, 1966, the present home of the Club, on Plaza de la República del Ecuador, 6, was officially inaugurated. A library for members was started in 1972 and now holds over 2,000 books.
Throughout the years, the Club has been a meeting place for interactions among women of all nationalities. And since the beginning, the members of the AWC Madrid have served the community through personal activities and by raising funds to support a multitude of charitable organizations.